NER STORES VAN No. 2
NER’s Diagram ‘H2’ bogie stores van was built at York in 1902 for carrying stores and locomotive spares from works to depots. Later renumbered by BR Gateshead Depot as DE 903004 (a departmental number) the vehicle was acquired by Beamish from Winston Station in December 1973. In 1986 the van was damaged in an arson attack, though has remained in secure undercover storage for the last six years. A notable feature is the ‘birdcage’ observation ducket mounted centrally on the roof, enabling the guard to view the train along its length from a safely enclosed position. This feature remains and will be restored.
In 2015 the vehicle was moved to its new home at Kirkby Stephen East station from where the Stainmore Railway Company operates. Since November 2018 the LCLT’s has been busily restoring No. 2 to running order and to an externally authentic condition courtesy of a small but extremely dedicated team at Kirkby Stephen East who have taken on this mammoth task. The interior will be restored to 1902 condition complete with crew compartment.
It will also be developed to provide an interpretation suite that will tell the story of the J21 65033 through the lives of the people it touched.
How to help
The Locomotive Conservation and Learning Trust
Telephone: 07831 120564
Address: 95a Hambalt Road, London SW4 9EQ
© 2016 Locomotive Conservation & Learning Trust
The LCLT is a charity registered in England and Wales, No. 1129893